MOWCAP Bureau establishes its own Rules of Procedure that are approved by MOWCAP to define its membership, functions, voting, quorum, subsidiary bodies, budgets, working language as well as the functions of the Chairperson and Vice-chairpersons.
The most up-to-date Rules of Procedures for the MOWCAP Bureau were passed in the Second MOWCAP General Meeting held between 7-8 November 2005 in Manila, the Philippines.
Download the Rules of Procedure – Bureau
Rule 1: Membership
- The Bureau shall be composed as defined in the Statutes.
Rule 2: Functions
- The Bureau shall prepare the agenda for MOWCAP meetings.
- The Bureau shall be responsible for the planning, organizing, implementation and monitoring of the work programs approved by MOWCAP.
Rule 3: Sessions
- The Bureau shall normally meet once a year. The Chairperson may summon extraordinary sessions when necessary
Rule 4: Voting
Each member in the Bureau can cast one vote.
- Decisions shall be taken by a simple majority of the members present and voting.
- If the vote is equally divided, the proposal shall be regarded as rejected.
Rule 5: Quorum
- The presence of half of the members of the Bureau shall constitute a quorum.
Rule 6: Functions of the Chairperson and Vice-Chairpersons
The Chairperson shall declare the opening and closing of meetings, direct discussions, ensure observance of these Rules of Procedure, accord the right to speak, put questions to the vote, announce decisions, rule on points of order, control the proceedings and maintain order.
- The Vice-Chairperson(s) shall assume duties and portfolios assigned by the Chairperson.
- In the absence of the Chairperson the Bureau shall elect one of its number to preside and exercise the Chairperson’s functions.
- If the office of Chairperson becomes vacant, the UNESCO Regional Advisor will select a replacement to fill the office until the next general meeting of MOWCAP, at which a new Chairperson shall be elected.
Rule 7: Subsidiary bodies
In order to undertake MOWCAP’s programs the Bureau may establish or abolish subcommittees or a task force as it considers necessary and practical from time to time. This power is also exercised by MOWCAP at its ordinary meetings.
Rule 8: The Secretariat
- The Secretariat shall consist of such staff as may be required and can be supported by the host institution. Its location shall be recommended by the Bureau and approved by MOWCAP.
- The Secretary General shall act as the executive head of the Secretariat responsible to the Chairperson.
- The Secretariat shall administer and be the custodian of all properties of MOWCAP.
- The Secretary General shall present an administrative and financial report to each ordinary session of MOWCAP.
Rule 9: Budget and finance
The Bureau shall prepare the biennial budget for the approval of MOWCAP.
- On behalf of the Bureau, the Secretary General may receive any donations, gifts, bequests and subventions directly from international and other organizations, foundations, institutions and associations or from individuals.
- As necessary, the Secretary General shall open, close and maintain any necessary bank accounts and otherwise manage any financial assets of MOWCAP in accordance with guidelines established by the Bureau. He or she shall present to the Bureau an annual statement of accounts, copies of which shall be furnished to voting members of MOWCAP.
Rule 10: Casual vacancies
Casual vacancies in the Bureau shall be filled by the remaining members appointing a replacement to serve until the next general meeting of MOWCAP.
Rule 11: Working Language
The working language of the Bureau shall be English.
Rule 12: Amendment
Proposal for amendments to these rules shall receive the approval of the Bureau by a simple majority before submission to the next general meeting of MOWCAP for consideration and final approval.
The Register Subcommittee (RSC) oversees the assessment of nominations. It is charged with the thorough investigation of each nomination and, in due course, the presentation to MOWCAP of a documented recommendation that the nomination be either added to the Register, or rejected.
RSC establishes its Rules of Procedures that are approved by MOWCAP to define its membership and functions.
Download the Rules of Procedure – Subcommittee
Rule 1 – Membership
- The Register Subcommittee (RSC) shall be composed of no fewer that 3 members, including a chairperson appointed by the MOWCAP or the Bureau, appointed for their expertise. Additional temporary members may be invited to attend specific meetings where appropriate to the topics under discussion.
- A rapporteur shall be selected by the RSC from among its members.
- As far as possible the RSC membership shall be geographically representative.
- The term of office of RSC members shall be four years. They shall be eligible for immediate reappointment, in order to ensure continuity. Under these provisions, no more than four persons shall be replaced every four years.
Rule 2 – Functions
The RSC’s functions mirror, at the regional level, those specified in the General Guidelines (para 5.3.5). The RSC shall also discharge functions assigned to it by MOWCAP or the Bureau.
Rule 3 – Sessions
The RSC shall normally meet at least once every two years. However, periodic meetings and consultations shall be conducted through electronic media to reach decisions. The RSC shall also hold virtual meetings as the need arises.
Rule 4 – Agenda
The agenda shall be drawn up by the RSC’s chair in consultation with the Bureau.
Rule 5: Functions of the Chairperson
The Chairperson shall declare the opening and closing of meetings, direct the discussions, ensure observance of these Rules, accord the right to speak, put questions to the vote and announce decisions. He or she shall rule on points of order and, subject to these Rules, shall control the proceedings and the maintenance of order.
Rule 6 – Voting rights
Each member of the RSC shall have one vote. Consensus will be sought as the normal basis for decision making on each nomination. Otherwise decisions will be made on the basis of a simple majority vote of those present. In the case of a tie, the Chair will have the casting vote.
Rule 7 – Reports
The RSC shall present reports on its work and its recommendations to the Bureau.